Looking to improve your lasagna and maybe even your cooking overall? Then Dutch oven cooking is the way to go! Here is a great Life Scout recipe from “The Scout’s Dutch Oven Cookbook” by Tim and Christine Conners.
- 1 pound of ground Italian sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar of pasta sauce (your favorite)
- 2 (24-ounce) bags of frozen ravioli, thawed out
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can of Italian diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 1 pound (4 cups) of shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- 12-inch camp Dutch oven
Preparation At Camp:
- Preheat the Dutch oven over 27 coals.
- Cook the sausage in the oven until it is no longer pink. Then set that aside.
- Coat the bottom of the oven with about 1 cup of pasta sauce.
- Distribute 1 bag of cheese ravioli over the sauce then add a layer of about 1 half of the cooked Italian Sausage.
- Pour the can of Italian diced tomatoes over the sausage then distribute the second bag of cheese ravioli over the tomatoes.
- Spread the remainder of the sausage over the ravioli followed by the rest of the pasta sauce.
- Bake that for about 45 minutes using 18 coals on the lid and 9 briquettes under the oven. Refresh the coals as required.
- Remove the lid, add the shredded cheese, then replace the lid and cook it for an additional 15 minutes.
[From Tracy Tuttle, Den leader of Pack 97, Ore-Ida Council in Boise, Idaho]